Workers' Compensation

The State of Michigan requires employers to carry workers' compensation insurance coverage. If you've been injured on the job you have rights. You could be entitled to:

  • Wage loss benefits
  • Medical expenses
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Travel expenses.

Workers' Comp in Michigan is administered by the state's Workers' Compensation Agency. Don’t navigate their rules alone, call a professional! Call (248) 206-0487.

If you are injured while on the job, you should notify a supervisor immediately. Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Protect your rights. Don't bite the bullet and keep silent. Think long term. An unattended injury will only get worse. Address it now.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I have to see the company doctor?
A. During the first 28 days starting when care begins, your employer has the right to select the medical care providers. After that, you are free to change doctors if you wish. However, you must notify your employer.

Q. What is my workers' compensation rate?
A. An injured workers' compensation rate is generally 80% of the after-tax value of your Average Weekly Wage, calculated by taking the average of the highest 39 weeks of the last 52 weeks of gross wages prior to injury. Other factors such as marital status and number of dependents affect a compensation rate. The state maximum rate for 2016 is $842 per week based on the state average weekly wage of $935.

Q. Do I have to look for work while restricted from my regular job?
A. Yes, you are required to look for any work that you can still perform.

Q. Are my workers' compensation benefits taxed?
A. Generally workers' compensation benefits are not subject to state or federal income tax.

For more information on Michigan Workers' Compensation in general, visit the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website at: For more information concerning your specific injury, contact (248) 206-0487.

If you would like more information about workplace safety, contact OSHA. OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration) is the government agency in charge of workplace safety and health guidelines.